HS2 will be undertaking works on a gas main (as part of the wider project) passing under the A40 between Gypsy Corner (North Acton) and Hanger Lane.
Woks will commence on Monday 21 August and continue until mid-November 2023 and will result in a contraflow of one of the eastbound lanes and an overall reduction of the road to two lanes in each direction.
Summary of dates
|Programme Phase||Start date||End date|
|Phase 1-Civil Works||21/08||11/09|
|Phase 2-Final Contra-flow Opening||12/09||13/09|
|Phase 3-Gas diversion works, contra-flow in operation||14/09||26/10|
|Phase 4-Civil Works||27/10||17/11|
Details of the Works
21 August to 11 September 2023 – contraflow build
- Lane three closures in each direction
- Some overnight (22:00 to 05:00) works closing lanes 2 & 3 in each direction
Night: 22:00 12 September to 05:00 13 September 2033 – overnight eastbound diversion
Eastbound A40 will be closed under Hanger Lane. The diversion route will be ‘over the top’ at Hager lane before re-joining the eastbound carriageway – diversion shown in yellow below.
13 September to 26 October 2023
- Two lanes in each direction, with lane 2 eastbound contraflow
- Please note: This eastbound contraflow lane must not be used by large vehicles (2m width restriction in place).
- Lane 2 in each direction will be narrow
- Recovery will be in place 24 hours
- The Mansfield Road turnback/U-turn facility will be removed for traffic but the pedestrian facility will remain
- A 20mph speed limit will be in force
27 October to 17 November 2023
- Return to normal operations
TfL have requested that A312 The Parkway and the M4/A4 corridor are kept clear of planned works during this time.